I. Прочитайте и переведите текст:
THE TOWER OF LONDON
The Tower of London has been called “The Cradle of the English race”. It is the oldest palace, fortress and prison in Europe.
The great fortress was created by William the Conqueror, nearly 900 years ago. The site was well chosen, the fortress commanded the river approaches to the city and it protected the king and government from the citizens of London.
The Tower of London is roughly square in shape with two lines of defensive walls enclosing the tower which for centuries has been known as the White Tower. The outer wall is defended by six towers on the river face and by two semi-circular bastions at the north-east and north-west.
Over the centuries the Tower has served many purposes. It has been a citadel, a royal palace, a prison for dangerous offenders against the state.
The Tower is entered at the foot of Tower Hill One of the most well-known towers is the Lion Tower. In this semicircular tower the royal menagerie was housed. In 1834 the menagerie was sent to Regent's Park where it formed the present London Zoo. The tower was then demolished.
The most terrible of them was Bloody Tower: Sir Thomas Moore was a prisoner there.
There have always been ravens at the Tower and some are-still there. These large birds traditionally associated with ill-omen live on raw meat and offal, but their favourite food is raw eggs. They are unfriendly and it is unwise to touch or feed them.
There are six birds. Their wings are clipped so that they cannot fly away.
Every night at exactly seven minutes to 10 o'clock the oldest and most colorful ceremony takes place for the last 700 years in the same form as it is seen today.
(From «Tower of London » by T. Butler)
II. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. How many years ago was the Tower of London created?
2. What is the shape of a Tower?
3. What purpose has the Tower served over the centuries?
4. What formed the present London Zoo?
5. Why do six ravens live in the Tower?
III. Написать 4 формы глаголов (правильные, неправильные) и перевести их: to exist, to choose, to serve, to sleep, to ruin, to enter, to buy, to move, to have, to know
IV. Выписать глагол. Определить время глагола по таблице. Перевести на русский язык.
1. This woman is a very good tailor.
2. I shall be very glad to see you on Sunday.
3. The War of Independence in America began in 1775.
4. She was waiting for her son the whole evening.
5. We have already learned this grammar rule.
6. Now he is sleeping in his bedroom.
7. Have you ever been to the Far East?